The Patrol Division is the most highly visible component of the Department. Officers on patrol deliver dedicated service to the campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Patrol services include, but are not limited to:
- prevention and detection of crimes and accidents
- identification and apprehension of suspects and offenders
- maintaining public order
- keeping the peace
- discovering and managing hazardous situations.
The Patrol Division includes the Traffic Unit, which concentrates on the campus perimeter, where statistics indicate a high frequency of automobile collisions and other traffic-related issues. The primary duties of this unit are:
- traffic enforcement
- pedestrian and bicycle traffic control and enforcement
- accident reduction enforcement
- special event traffic control
Because of their mobility and speed, motorcycles are often used by the Traffic Unit. Escorts, parades, traffic, and the crowd control associated with special events are areas in which use of motorcycles are very effective.